Windows Home Server - protection?

Back in April I had occasion to restore a file from my Windows Home Server.  It wasn't what I would call a 'user friendly experience'. Yesterday I was trying out a Windows profile utility and accidentally hosed my own user profile. I went to the server room and pulled out my Windows Home Server Restore CD.  Popped the CD in the drive, rebooted and went through the restore screens.  I was taken to a screen that informed me there had been "AN UNKNOWN NETWORK ERROR".  Not too helpful.  There was, however, a link to an article #88097.  Fortunately I had another computer at hand so I didn't need to try and run my screwed up computer to access the article. While I was scanning through the article of troubleshooting suggestions it dawned on me that I had initiated a manual WHS backup on a different computer before I started the restore of my computer.  Of course there was no mention in the troubleshooting article related to a backup running at the same time of a restore - nevertheless I decided to kill the backup and try the restore again.  After about 10-15 minutes for the backup to actually kill - I tried the restore and now it proceeded without the error.  It was late and this was a volume with 70g of data so I went to bed to continue in the morning. In the morning I saw that the restore had completed.  I rebooted the pc and got back to my login prompt.  I logged in with my regular login name and GUESS WHAT - I got a message that we CANNOT CONNECT TO THE DOMAIN.  I tried logging in with a different domain username and I WAS able to connect to the domain! Fortunately I have turned into (at least a little) the belt and suspenders guy.  I pulled out my Shadow Protect boot cd and did a volume restore of my SHADOW PROTECT backup and now am back in business. Sure wish I had one of those glowing WHS testimonials that I hear a Microsoft guy give at each of the last couple IT conferences I've been to in the last year or so. Instead I've got a testimonial for Storage CraftThank you Storage Craft - your product came through for me.

Windows HOME? Server

I heard that Windows Home Server was targeted at the home computer user network. I've been running WHS since the first beta version. When the product went production and the beta expired I actually bought the software since it is not part of my Action Pack. Yesterday I had my first occasion to want to restore a previous version of a file. I accessed the WHS console, went through the GUI and found the date I wanted to select for my restore and initiated what I guess was a catalog read. During this process I received the message you see in my first screen shot. Nice of Microsoft to instruct you not to follow some instructions! Did an actual, educated, adult put this message in here? And who was responsible for reviewing this person's work? One thing I've learned is that with 65,000 employees there is a person for every job. After a while I arrived at the error message in my second screen shot here. This is the product intended for the HOME user. Does this tell you enough about how to proceed? And what's with the OK? I think it's not OK but there is no other choice. Because I work a lot with this vendor's software I know I can search their database and look for solutions. I did find KB 939218 and it is not pretty, particularly if you try to imagine the home user (mother, father, child) trying to follow it. The problem was that this KB (which was the only one which related to my symptoms) did not fix my problem. I did find a message forum that discussed similar issues where the KB didn't help but some other steps did. I am reposting from it here - -- Basically, it is reloading the WHS restore service driver. The tricky part about it is that it only exists while the restore is in progress. So, you have to have Device Manager opened up with the System Devices section opened up and then do the restore. Early on, at about 3%, you will see the Home Server Restore driver pop up in the DM list. Right click it and uninstall it. Then cancel the ongoing restore process in the connector software. Get out of everything that needs to be closed and restart the system. When it boots again, retry the restore process and it should work - at least mine did and still is... This forces a reload of the restore driver and is tricky becasue the restore driver is added and deleted as part of the restore process and you cannot find or see it at any other time. -- This did work. Again - probably not for a happy home user.